1. To 3 gallons cold water, add Gypsum and salt. Bring water to steeping temperatures (150-165F). In grain bag,steep grains for 20 minutes. Remove grains.
2. Bring water to a boil, then add LME and Molasses.
3. Bring to another boil and add bittering hops - boil for 55 minutes.
4. Then add spruce needles in bag and boil 5 more minutes. *If using spruce extract, add just prior to kegging or bottling.
5. Start the cool down and add the crushed, bagged, licorice stick.
6. Once wort is chilled, remove spruce needles and licorice. (Be santitary at this point)
7. Add yeast to cooled wort.
8. Ferment in primary until bubbles in airlock slow, then transfer to secondary. Check the FG after a week and see if your in target range. Then bottle or keg.